Technology requirements vary depending on the type of course. Requirements for each course type are outlined below. Although some courses do not specify a particular type of technology, many courses now include a web-based component to enhance instruction.
Minimum Hardware Specifications
- Use a computer no more than four years old when possible
- 2GB of RAM or higher
- 2GHz processor or higher
Minimum Operating System Requirements
- Windows 7 or newer
- Users running Windows 10 must download the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to submit Canvas assignments
- Mac OSX 10.6 or newer
- Linux - ChromeOS
Mobile Operating System Native App Support
- iOS 7 or newer (versions vary by device)
- Android 4.2 or newer
Internet Connection Requirements
- Along with compatibility and web standards, Canvas has been carefully crafted to accommodate low bandwidth environments.
- Minimum of 512kbps
For more information on computer specifications for online courses, visit the Canvas Guides.
Supported Browsers for Canvas
Canvas operates on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, or any other device with a modern web browser, and supports the last two versions of every browser release.
For best results, your browser and Flash plug-in should be up-to-date.
Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating "Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas." If you have upgraded your browser and are still seeing the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies. For instructions on clearing your cache and deleting browser cookies, visit our help guide for Mac or PC.
For more information on browser compatibility, please visit Canvas Guides.
Flash is required for several Canvas functions.
- Media recording/streaming and viewing
- uploading files to a course or assignment.
The Java plug-in is required for screen sharing in Conferences. Please note that some browsers do not support Java.
All PHSC students have a PHSC Mail account provided by Google Apps. Students also have the option of communicating with faculty internally through our learning management system, Canvas.
Instructions for Online Courses
On the first day of class:
- Open your Internet browser and go to PHSC’s website.
- Click on the myPHSC login link on the upper right of each page.
- Follow the login instructions on that page.